Most owners of apartments and private houses have appreciated the advantages of plastic windows: tightness, excellent heat and sound insulation, a variety of design solutions.
If windows are installed by a competent specialist, he will adjust the system in such a way that a comfortable microclimate is maintained in the house. However, during operation, self-adjustment of the window may be required.
Seasonal window adjustment
Depending on the season, the density of pressing the sash to the frame can be adjusted using fittings.
● Summer mode provides the minimum pressure density, as a result, a micro-gap is formed between the sash and the frame. In summer, this helps to ensure better air circulation in the room, and also extends the life of the window system.
● Winter mode provides for the most dense clamping of the sash, as a result, drafts are absolutely excluded.
● The universal mode will protect against drafts, providing a slightly less dense junction of the sash to the frame than in the winter version – as a rule, it is used in the first years after the installation of a plastic window block.
To switch the window to summer or winter mode, use a special adjusting screw:
● if it is in the neutral position, the universal mode is set on the window;
● when the trunnion is in the direction of the street, the sash is pressed the least tightly – summer mode;
● if the trunnion faces the inside of the room, the winter position is set.
Adjustment can also be carried out using an oval bolt, which is set vertically in winter, horizontally in summer, and diagonally rotated to neutralize.
It is not recommended to operate windows in winter mode all year round – this leads to rapid wear of seals and a reduction in window service life. As a rule, it is chosen when the temperature is below freezing outside, snow has fallen and is switched to a weaker pressure mode – summer or universal, when the weather is consistently warm in spring.
If it’s blowing from the window
If you have transferred the fittings to the winter position, but you still feel a draft from the window, you will have to look for the reason. There may be several of them:
● mounting errors;
● the seal is out of order;
● sash sagged.
To exclude poor-quality installation, contact trusted plastic window installation companies that provide warranties for products and work performed.
A worn seal must be replaced around the entire perimeter of the sash. It is better if this work is done by the master.
If the sash sags, you can try to solve the problem yourself.
● To align the sash horizontally, adjust the lower canopy by turning it clockwise to bring the sash closer to the hinge by 1-2 mm and counter-clockwise to move it away. Then adjust the position of the sash relative to the upper hinge – such manipulation will allow you to change the position of the sash within 4 mm.
● The vertical position of the sash needs to be adjusted more frequently. To do this, use the regulating node located in the lower loop. Turning clockwise will help raise the sash, lower it in the opposite direction. Thus, the vertical position of the opening part is corrected within 2-2.5 mm.
Sometimes, over time, the window begins to close tightly. Most often, the problem occurs due to improper maintenance. The mechanism of the handle and hinge must be periodically lubricated with machine oil or a special compound for PVC windows. Before lubrication, the fittings are wiped with a clean cloth, removing visible dirt and dust. If the lubrication did not help, proceed to adjust the frame.
If you notice that the handle has become loose, the fasteners on it can be tightened with a screwdriver, having previously removed the decorative panel.
If you can’t solve the problem yourself, contact a plastic window repair master. A PVC block is a rather complex system and sometimes you can’t do without the help of a specialist.